On Nov 28, 2005, at 5:04 PM, William Robb wrote:

Seems to me that any portrayal of someone/thing is an objectification.

That was my point, which somehow seems to have zoomed right past Frank. It doesn't matter a whit if the subject is an object in the first place.

As for objectifying people, that goes back at least as far as the "Venus of Willendorf", no doubt the "pinup" of her day.

Every day as I work I am overseen by a little stone figure on a shelf above my desk. She is Ishtar. Carved from sandstone by some unknown artist 5,000 years ago in Babylon. She brings me luck and inspiration. My personal little objectified goddess.

Bob