Bob Shell wrote:

On Nov 28, 2005, at 8:05 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

"I, as well as every full-time career professional photographer I've ever met, just happen to use Mac. It's a given, just as Windows is for engineers and cubicle workers.

I feel compelled to comment here.
The Mac user mentioned above is probably able to, and does, contribute heavily in the decision of what computer platform to buy and use.

The cubible worker, on the other hand, is dealt his cards when he is employed, and has almost zero choice of what he uses. The company is going to buy whatever platform, equipment and software they have decided will fit their budget, and to heck with employee preferences...

At least, that's what I've experienced over the years of my professional life. So, I'm in agreement with both Rob and Bob...that does seem to be the way it works out in practice.

keith whaley

By "full-time" I mean full-time, not the guy in your office who shoots weddings, portraits, stock or sells photos at fairs on the side. By "career" I mean someone who's been doing photography all along, not someone who
dropped out of another job. I don't mean to offend anyone with these
definitions and I'll hope to find a more delicate way to explain that people
coming from other careers often bring baggage. "

Much as I normally dislike Rockwell, I am in full agreement with him on this. I know a lot of high-end professional photographers, and nearly every one of them uses Mac. I'm a strong advocate of Mac for imaging use, and even more so for digital video work.

Bob