Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote on 30.11.05 14:36:

> I've been using Macintosh since very late 1983, several months before
> it was released to the publc (and about a decade before you...:-).
> The work I was referring to came about in the time between 1986 and
> 1988 as that is when I was working for NASA at the Jet Propulsion
> Laboratory.
>
> AppleTalk over TCP/IP doesn't exist. You're referring to AppleTalk
> over ethernet, and more specifically AppleShare/Personal FileShare
> over ethernet.
>
> Ethernet interfaces and adaption of other protocols became
> commonplace amongst higher-end Macintosh users starting about the end
> of 1986, about 7 years before you started using Macintosh in
> advertising, but many many installations based on serial AppleTalk
> were in place already before ethernet replaced them, because it was
> very affordable despite being slow. AppleTalk serial protocols, was
> supported and standard equipment by Apple in systems all the way up
> to 2000 and, yes, it only had 384Kbps performance. That's the slow
> connection you were originally using. Around 1993, most Apple
> computers had an ethernet port built-in, at least as optional
> equipment, and AppleTalk could be configured to function on either
> the serial or ethernet port.
OK, I'm not denying this :-) I just pointed out that switching from
Appletalk over Ethernet to Appleshare IP improved greatly speed of Mac
ethernet communication. In 1993 when I started my experience with Mac
platform we have already been using ethernet on coaxial cable, Syquest was
only used to transfer data to one Atari TT workstation (yes, it was quite
popular in Europe because of great DTP application - Calamus, I still miss
many of its usefull functions even in Quark 6...

--
Balance is the ultimate good...

Best Regards
Sylwek