On 1 Dec 2005 at 18:39, Jack Davis wrote:

> Can't pass up this opportunity "come out" and reveal the actual
> physical repulsion I experienced each time I see a Velvia print
> attempting to depict an element of the natural world.
> Now, in a PS world of hue and tone sliders, I long for the limits
> previously imposed by the availability of a single offending film.
> Juicing colors is one thing, but bizarre, bad dream, newly hatched
> color images offered as serious straight-up nature scenes is always an
> unpleasant experience.
> I know, it's art..nuff said.

I agree, and add to that the inane use of polarizers and graduated tobacco
filters and the hideous picture is complete. There is a solution though, don't
use Velvia and educate those you can. I know it's depressing to witness all the
non-photogs that ooh and ahh over these departures from reality but hyper-
reality tends to sell unfortunately. Next time you get the opportunity to study
one of these type of prints just have a look at how much detail is lost in that
super-saturation.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998