On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:04:37AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 2/5/2006 10:35:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Actually, I fail to see why dressing up as a woman is funny.
>
> It's a very british thing. They quite succesfully exported it to
> australia. Not sure about the rest of the commonwealth ;-)
>
> --
> Regards, Lucas
> =========
> Yeah, I've seen it mainly (as a big humorous thing) in British TV shows
> (exports). Monty Python, Barney Hill, that one where they all work in a
> department
> store, etc.

What you are missing here, though, is the British tradition of Pantomime
(and, for even earlier examples, both Mummers and Morris), where there is
always a strong comedy lead played as a cross-dressed 'female'.

> I figure the British are really uptight about sex and/or have very strict
> gender roles.
> Or both.

I can assure you, having lived in both societies, that the Americans are
far, *far* more uptight about sex than even the most represssed of Brits.

Can you imagine a US national newspaper publisher even considering for
an instant publishing a topless photograph of a woman?  Yet for many
years that has been a regular feature of the Sun - so long, in fact,
that when Murdoch's publishing group (which owns the Sun) purchased
the Times newspaper group Fison's agricultural products took the
opportunity to take out a full-page advertisement on page three of
the first issue of the Times under the new management (page three
is where the Sun pictures appear: see "page three girl" for details).
The advertisement featured a topless woman - the Venus de Milo.