I mostly agree with Tom C here, and I'm certainly not getting stuck into either Aaron or Pentax.

In response to the "thanks but no thanks" email from Marco, I sent the following reply to him (note that I sent this message *before* most of the recent discussion and, in particular, before information about abusive messages):

---Message to Marco
Hello

You gave up too easily, I think!

I saw several responses on PDML from people who thought it was okay, a few (including me) even thought it was fun to do.

It was inevitable -- given the large number of internet scams running -- that there would be some doubt about the legitimacy of the request.

Also, given the nature of the internet, there were always going to be some negative comments. To me, it seemed to be worst on the Pentax User Forum (which I visit rarely) than on PDML. On PDML (and I read the whole thread), the main issue was concern that it was a scam. Once that had been settled, several people indicated that they would "give it a go".

As a fan of Pentax gear for 20 years (although I've only recently taken up the *ist DL), if there is some reconsideration I'll happily take part.

Keith McGuinness
---End message

Tom C wrote:
Aaron,

I'm not beating you up over this... please believe that. I understand what Pentax Canada does, they do however represent Pentax (the company that produces cameras and photography equipment).

I just don't get how you're jumping to the conclusion that "you assume they intended to steal people's images or do something different from what they said". When did I say that? I never assumed that all. I did require more information, however.

Lets face it. The whole thing was handled somewhat unofficially. In this day and age of legalese, things appear unusual when we *don't see it*. I'm not pointing fingers at you. You did exactly what I would have done in the same circumstances and Frank was passing the message along. I would assume that anyone truly interested in submitting photos, including myself would be thankful, and I am.

In the end what I don't understand is the about-face that was taken. Why not just delete and ignore the e-mails from the jackasses and continue to engage those who responded in a sincere and civil manner?

Tom C.