Whitstable's OK, too.  The natives are tasty.

John

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:05:51 -0000, Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Bob,

Rochester may be dreary, but you're on the way to the North Kent Marshes,
which are a spectacular wetland/salt marsh habitat, and the setting of the opening scene of Great Expectations when Pip meets Magwitch in the graveyard
at Cooling.

It's very beautiful, and very important in historical and literary terms -
it may be the setting for much of Beowulf, and was certainly one of the
points where the Angles & Saxons first came to this country. So of course
the government naturally wanted to put an airport there. Fortunately I think
they were defeated on that one.

http://hostgate.co.uk/northkentmarshes/index.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/298feature1.shtml

--