The thing to remember is that, just like the camera, the card reader
has a maximum speed that it will read/write to the card. So you're
right, a better card reader will read and write faster than an
older/crappier one.
I just ordered a small SD card reader/jump drive for $6. We'll see how
fast it is. Now I just need to get some faster 1GB cards and a DSLR...

-Mat