From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: The Time Machine (was: Re: New SD Card...)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:26:16 -0800

On Mar 23, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Tom C wrote:
And you're complaining about a few seconds or minutes.... when it used to take at minimum an hour, if not a day or multiple days to get film back? ...

I've been wandering through my digital photo/picture archives of the past 20 years lately, and you brought this to mind.

When I started at JPL in 1984, a single [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1024x1024 image (1Mpixel) took upwards of 9 hours to render from our raw data on $2.5M worth of computer equipment. By the time I left in 1988, I could do five of them in the same time on $8K worth of Apple equipment.

By comparison, I now work on 6Mpixel images with [EMAIL PROTECTED] tonal/ color information. I can process 100 of them per hour from RAW format to fully rendered on the Apple G5, which cost me about $4000 with 750G disk drives, 3G RAM and a 23" display.

Back around 1990 I was working for a credit card processor and was responsible for the design of an application that recovered 4G of DASD on an IBM mainframe. I can't remember what that 4G of IBM3380 was worth at the time, but it was certainly in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

About 1.5 years ago I took this little item off of my resume as it looked foolish to say that I saved my employer $50.

Tom C.