Frantisek asked:

  and Bill Peifer wrote:

> Also, I've read that the double-action feature (separate lock for
> panning motions) is not too useful. I would also like to hear
> anyone's comments on the Manfrotto 168/ Bogen 3055.

        I have two of these (3055's w/ the hex-plate) and it is a bit
        jerky the way the tightening works. Nonetheless, I have made good
        use of mine and have developed a "knack" for getting it to settle
        in right as it is tightened. Face it - for precision control of
        stuff like this there is no competition w/ the more expensive
        heavy-duty geared heads. For its low (relative) price the 3055
        is tough to beat. For free-following at highish shutter speeds,
        just leave both levers "open" & it is wonderful. Another strong
        point, IMHO, is that its heft and wide base design make it a most
        effective tabletop 'pod all by its lonesome!   :^)    To make use
        of one control for panning, *everything* must be set up "square to
        the world", as the other lever will be locked tight and will other-
        wise go "off-track". But this is always a problem panning off a 'pod.

> I recently purchased a used 029 3-way head and I'm quite satisfied with it.
> This one would certainly support your heavy gear.  Perhaps this one might be
> the best choice?

        I have one of these, as well - between them one is pretty well set
        for tripod heads for a modest outlay of dough. Just grab up all the
        hex-plates you come across, as it is quite handy to keep one attached
        to all items needing tripod support on a regular basis, such as long
        heavy lenses and one or two "auxillary" bodies while having another
        sans plate for handheld work. I keep a plate on my SMCP 400 f5.6, my
        300mm f4 Tak, my Bessa II 6x9 folder, at least one of the several
        Pentax 35mm bodies, one in the car glove box, one in the "big Tote
        Box of Extra Gear" and so forth. Odd as it may sound, the unwieldy-
        seeming 3047 w/ all its protruding handles can make for a good
        "grip-support" if you arrange all the handles so that the whole mess
        can be held against ones chest such that the viewfinder aligns with
        the eye!     ;^D

        Bill