Hi,

I have Manfrotto 190 with 168 ball-head and I was thinking the same way as
you before buying it- that I need also the panning possibility for panorama
pictures. When I got it, I found out that if I do not pull the center column
up, it is possible to pan the whole column and head simply by untightening
the screw which stabilizes it. It might be difficult to use this trick if
one needs the column to be up, but it shouldn't happen very often,
especially not with 055 legs. I am 1.9m tall and 190 is just fine.

About the movements of the 168 head: I have used it only with light SLR, but
I can confirm that the control is a bit tricky. Release seems to be two-step
and tightening one-step (one/two-click?) and one needs to be careful about
that.

Regards,
Jozef

P.S. You probably know Paladix, they have had a very interesting sale of
Manfrotto tripods and even their normal prices are far the best I have seen.
I am afraid that not many models are still left.