On Apr 2, 2006, at 8:02 PM, David Oswald wrote:

But where I'm always feeling a need is in my non-zoom lenses. First, I don't have anything that I would consider to be in the range of wide angle, mounted on the *ist-DS. I've considered the following options, but have been hesitant to jump in with wallet and both feet:

SMC Pentax-FA 20mm f/2.8 AL
  Pros: Compact.  Wide-ish angle.  Not prohibitively expensive.
  Cons: Used on a DSLR, it's not really all *that* wide.

I tested this lens, comparing it to the Canon EF20/2.8 and the Sigma 20/1.8, all on digital bodies only. It's the best of the three wide open, the Canon catches up by f/4, and the Sigma almost catches up between f/4.5-5.6. I owned the Canon 20/2.8 with my 10D.

However, I decided that a zoom was more applicable in this range for me. I'm always wanting between a 24mm and 28mm lens. I tried the DA16-45 but didn't like its bulk/weight. I replaced that with the FA20-35/4 AL and find it produces results competitive with the primes in this range that I've owned and is a wonderful lens to work with: light, compact, quick and contrasty. The one stop slower speed has not proven to be a problem at all.

If you already have and like the DA16-45, I wouldn't bother with the FA20. I'd want wider.

SMC Pentax-DA 14mm f/2.8 AL
  Pros: Ultra-wide angle.
  Cons: Priced a little beyond my comfort level for a wide angle lens.
A little wider than I feel my "only" wide angle lens should be.

This was the only "new" lens I bought when I ordered the DS body. I'm very glad I did: it's an excellent performer in every regard, a LOT cheaper than the Canon or Nikon offerings in this focal length range, and balances very well on the *ist DS. It produces the field of view of a 21mm focal length on a 35mm film SLR, which has always been about as wide as I need. Excellent rectilinear correction, very low chromatic aberration, best aperture between f/4.5 and f/5.6.

Page of example shots at http://homepage.mac.com/godders/14mm-examples/.

Frankly, I feel that the right choice for me just isn't made. If it were, it would be called: SMC Pentax-DA 16mm f/2.8. Could such a contraption be on the horizon?

You already have the DA16-45/4, which is only one stop slower and very nearly prime quality. Nothing like a DA16/2.8 is on Pentax lens roadmap for 2006-2007.

Now on to the other gap I'm feeling: the moderate telephoto. I've got the 50mm lens, which is a good lens for not-so-tight portraits. And I've got the 135mm lens, which gets me in there really tight. But I'm always wishing for something between those two. Here are the options that I see:

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.9 Limited
  Pros: Image quality, build quality, convenient focal length.
  Cons: What amateur can honestly justify its price tag?

IMO, that's the only one to go for in this range unless you really want a macro lens. Small, light, excellent imaging quality, etc. Right now I jump from 50 to 135 as well, sold my M85/2 as I found I really prefer having all AF series lenses, and have been debating getting the FA77/1.8 limited too. It's not *that* expensive given the quality. But it's also a focal length I find I don't use all that often. I might wait for the DA70/2.4 Limited.

Godfrey