I can't speak to your idea of value or address your budgetary concerns.
However, the 77 Ltd is a great lens, it works beautifully on the DS, and is
worth every penny you'll pay for it.  It's the first auto focus lens I've
ever used, and the first I've used on the DS. Go for it!

As for price, there are any number of lenses that are nowhere near the
quality or pleasure to use that cost quite a bit more.

Godfrey's gotten some great results with his 20~35/4.0, and while i don't
care much for zooms, this is one of two or three that I'd consider.
However, if you are happy with the 16~45, why look for something else in
that range.

The 14/2.8 is a nice, compact lens.  I've only made a few snaps with it,
but it seems like an optic worth consideration.  I'll have to cajole
Godders into letting me shoot a little more with his to make a final
decision, but I like what I've seen and experienced thus far.

Shel