You may even need to update windows in order to use most Card Readers, which require Me, 2000 or XP for the more comprehensive USB support (many don't even work with Me). 98 is quite archaic.

-Adam

luispaulodesa wrote:

Hiya. My DS just arrived yesterday. Still reading the manual and playing with
the cam. I had a 'surprise'. When I tried to install the software in my
computer which runs on Windows 98, I simply couldn't do it. It didn't bothered
me much. It got worse, though.

I plugged the camera and, at first, the system does recognise the existence of
the Pentax *ist DS, but cannot install the drivers. I tried Microsoft, tried
Pentax, but all software I found was related to newer versions of Windows. Any
suggestions? I thought of buying a card reader, sounded the most reasonable
solution for I do not feel like updating my computer at the moment.

About the camera so far, looks insteresting and promising. It's my first
digital slr, feels a bit odd, but so far so good. Still learning all the
functions and everything. One thing I miss is certainly all the dials available
on the body, instead of through lcd menus, but looks like I'll have to deal
with that. Maybe I am just an old fart, but hey, who the heck said that old
dogs can't learn new tricks? ;)

Cheers
LP