And Bob Shell wrote:

>I think a lot of the rebates we see advertised are outright scams.

I would much rather the store reduced the price and yes, I think it's a
scam. I can see that as a marketing tool, people may well be tempted in the
shop to opt for product 'x', because with the rebate it's a better deal. The
manufacturers rely on a certain percentage of those buyers failing to
complete the rebate forms because they are too complicated, fail to complete
in time, lose the paperwork or reading it, decide they can't be bothered. So
it's sold under the implication of a price reduction but in reality the
manufacturers know that many will be sold for full price. That's a legal
scam - if you're going to give a discount, give it to the customer at the
point of sale.

Having been down this route of buying an item under such an offer, and
completing the paperwork within the time frame etc etc and waiting three
whole months for the rebate to return, I think the idea stinks and if I see
a similar offer I ignore it - and remember I got my cash back!

Malcolm