On Apr 14, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Bob Shell wrote:

Depends on the distance from subject to softbox. Put the softbox as close to the subject as you can without getting it in the picture if you want maximum softness and wrap around light. The hardness or softness of a light source depends on its apparent size from the subject's position, nothing more.

I read almost these exact words on a website discussing softbox usage. What softbox(es) do you use?

I teach this in my lighting workshops. Put a softbox far enough away and it becomes a hard light. Put a spot close enough and it becomes a soft light. The world's biggest softbox is an overcast sky.

I use Photoflex, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, because of their high quality and neutral color balance. They went to a lot of trouble getting special fabric made for them just to insure this neutrality. This is all the more important for digital shooters because digital is far more sensitive to slight color casts than film.

ON the other hand, they're easier to correct. :-)

I never bought a softbox, other than the LumiQuest "Mini Softbox" attachment for my flash unit. I used to make them with PVC tubing and layers of bubble pack and rice paper sheeting. I'd get a broad light source for portraiture and sculpture by making the frame about 8x8' in size, lighting it from behind with a couple of hot lights or strobes, and putting it just a couple of inches outside the field of view as close to the subject as possible. Worked great, but I wouldn't recommend it for easy portability!

Also, I was shooting primarily B&W film so color casts were of little concern.

Godfrey