> From: Leon Altoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/04/27 Thu PM 12:59:58 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: OT: How do you store your precious moments for posterity?
>
> Storage is not just for computers any more.
>
> When CD's came out the vinyl record disappeared, you can still get
> record players.
>
> Computers have become so tied up with the whole multi-media thing that
> they NEED to maintain compatibility with people's CD and DVD
> collections.  My DVD collection is only about 100 or so, but I know
> people with over 500 DVD's and countless CDs.  The cost of conversion is
> prohibitive and unless compatibility is maintained then take up of any
> new technology will be slow.  Manufacturers don't want this so for a
> minor increase in cost they will build in the compatibility - until the
> content suppliers come up with a new way of licensing the content (and
> that is happening as we speak too).

That's not necessarily true.  Collectors are a minority - most people treated
records as a disposable artefact.  The way similar people treat CDs and DVDs
_because they can_ makes me cringe.  They are a manufacturer's joy because they
will buy new media (often with the same entertainment as the previous media)
and the methodology of utilising it without a second's thought.

I have a friend who is a "refuse disposal operative".  Until company
regulations forbade it, he "collected" his household appliances from work.  His
music system and other AV was _way_ better than I could afford.  People had
thrown it out because they didn't like the colour.

With that kind of market, there is little incentive for manufacturers to
implement compatibility - as we have discovered here.

> For the record I back up to CD, DVD and keep a hard drive copy.  Every
> 12 months or so I go back and randomly check the CD's and DVD's to make
> sure that they are still readable.  My early digital stuff is on 2 CD's
> rather than a CD and DVD, but it is on one gold CD and one silver CD,
> because no one could tell me what the difference between them was.
>
>   Leon
>
> http://www.bluering.org.au
> http://www.bluering.org.au/leon
>

> Jostein wrote:
> > Very interesting indeed. Long-life media is a good start.
> >
> > If even the minimum estimate of 80 years holds, media lifetime will not be
> > the
> > limiting factor.
> >
> > Second question: Will there be any CD-R readers to go round in 80 years from
> > now?
> > Personal computers have been with us for 25 years, and we've already passed
> > through several generations of storage media that can no longer be read by
> > mainstream computers.
> >
> > Jostein
> >

> > Quoting Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >> This looks interesting:
> >> http://www.imaginginfo.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=3&id=1641

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software