I have my pictures on my desktop hard drive. And since I have a laptop I am
thinking of copying pictures I don't want to lose to it as well. I could easily
lose 80-90% of my photos. :-) Only some do I really, really like.

I make backups of various picture directories to DVDs periodically. I
suggested once that hard drives were better for storage than DVDs and was
jumped on.
But from my experience with computers for 20+ years or so, I find fixed media
more reliable than removable media. So I've been thinking of getting an
external hard drive as well.

I'm just lucky my hard drive hasn't crashed. Hard drives have crashed on me
in the past. About two. But most can last a long time. Long enough, anyway,
until I upgrade to a newer and bigger drive and then copy stuff to it from the
existing hard drive.

As a former computer consultant, I used to recommend to people that they do
tape backups, because, believe it or not, tape can last a very long time. Then
it became harder and harder to find tape drives and I stopped consulting
pretty much some time ago.

I keep thinking I'd prefer to do tape backups. Maybe I will see if there are
some tape drives still around somewhere one of these days. When I am willing
to spend more on my camera hobby again. Film, transparencies, tape can last
longer than DVDs or hard drives.

I ran across this article a while ago. "IBM expert warns of short life span
for CDs..."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/10/73755_HNcdlifespan_1.html

He's talking about CDs, but I think it applies to DVDs too, to a degree.
Probably a large degree.

Analog storage will last longer than digital storage. Or something that has
more durability, than is similar to other forms of analog storage, will last
longer than things like drives that have moving parts, or CDs/DVDs that can
degrade due to dye.

That is just my opinion. A slightly informed one, but not a highly informed
one.

Marnie aka Doe :-)