A more powerful doesn't necessarily mean a machine that's more complicated
to operate.  While it's true that new programs may require a bit of time to
learn, it seems that many, especially those designed for the average user,
aren't that difficult to figure out, especially if you've used earlier
versions of the same or similar programs.  Granted, for some programs and
for some people, taking a class or reading a well written book may be
helpful.

As for compatibility, I've solved that problem.  I keep an older machine in
running condition, plus, when I get a new machine, I add slots or older
media.  The latest machine here takes the old 3.5 floppy disks, but also
has a CD player and burner and a DVD player and burner, as well as USB and
Firewire ports.  I'm still using WordPerfect 6.1 and Lotus 2.01 as well as
the latest version of Photoshop.

Compatibility is available for those who seek it.  However, one cannot
blindly go into CompUSA or some such and buy a computer "off the shelf"
without doing their homework.  People go to Consumer's Reports and read
about refrigerators and toasters, buy car magazines to learn about the new
cars they are considering, and in general do their homework to some degree.
Buying a computer is no different in that regard.

Shel