Whatever. The outside points work. Even in low light. I use them all the time in dim room lighting with the FA 50/1.4.
Paul
On May 13, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

The points are not equal in sensitivity. All but the two extreme outside points are cross sensors (The points on the extremes of the horizontal axis are linear sensors) and my testing indicated that the centre sensor is definitely more sensitive than the other cross points, especially in low light where the other points are pretty much useless. That would be pretty much standard for AF sensor design (The same goes for the other two multi-point AF bodies I've owned, the 45 point EOS 3 and the 5 point Nikon F65). But the fact that only 9 of the 11 points are cross-type disproves your assertion.

-Adam

Paul Stenquist wrote:

The points are all of equal sensitivity. When you dial one point in, that's the point that determines your exposure. It's really quite simple and far better than a simple center sensor.
Paul