I switch autofocus points constantly with the D. I found that I quickly grew accustomed to using the D switch.
Paul
On May 14, 2006, at 4:12 AM, Christian wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:
Paul Stenquist
Sat, 13 May 2006 17:18:45 -0700
Don't you feel any need to vary your autofocus point? I use the selective autofocus and move the point to where I want it. For example, when shooting street photography and anticipating verticals, I move it to the far right center area, so it will correspond to eye position when shooting verticals.
-----
Once in a long while I will select a different autofocus point. But generally I focus and recompose using the central autofocus point. I think I understand what you are describing for street photography, and I can see that it would work. But I do little of that kind of shooting. Generally I turn red and vent steam out of my ears waiting for people to get out of my frame.
Joe

With the D I rarely varied AF points because the 4-way switch was a PITA (IMO), but with the 20D I do a lot of AF point switching (the little joystick controller falls right under my right thumb and I find it a better control than the D's 4-way switch). I do mostly nature photography and recently discovered how nice it is to not have to focus-and-recompose.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net