On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 01:37:21PM -0400, gfen wrote:

> But I don't want to accept that its not smart enough to replicate a
> feature thats been on every one of the camera bodies since the mid '70s,
> including the MZ-S from which I think all the rest of this descends.

You're not alone in this - there are still a few die-hards here who
say they'll refuse to buy the K10D if it doesn't re-introduce the
aperture sensing mechanism (omitted from all the digital bodies).
Personally I think they're flogging a dead horse - most of the new
lenses don't even have aperture rings, so it's unlikely that Pentax
will bother with adding something they've already decided to drop.

You're mistaken in your belief that the digital bodies are is some
way descendants of the MZ-S.  The proposed MZ-D (with a full frame
sensor) never made it to market.   If it had, then we may well have
seen aperture rings on the lenses, and aperture being set that way
as it is on the MZ bodies.  But, instead, we got cameras with the
control interface of the PZ bodies, where the lens is left set to
the "A" setting, and everything is controlled by the finger/thumb
control wheels on the body.  My *ist-D is, operationally, almost
identical to my PZ-1p.