Ahhh ... something I've found with the DS - and I'm sure it's the same with
the DL - is that the "in focus" light and beep is not always accurate.
Several list members had commented on that (Godfrey, Bruce, and Paul come
quickly to mind), so for critical focusing, especially up close or with
wider f-stops, I don't pay any attention to the light, and have turned the
beep off so long ago that, until you mentioned it just now, I'd forgotten
it existed.

Shel