It seems that Pentax cut back production on primes because there was
a period in which that lack of interest caused poor sales, they put
their production money into zoom lenses that were selling better and
invested more into the DSLR development work.

The *ist D model sold relatively slowly, but I suspect that was
primarily a price-point issue. When the DS model was released at a
more acceptable price point, all of a sudden the demand for high
quality primes bounced up to dramatically greater than it had been
for a while which stressed the availability of a lot of lenses until
they ramped production back up to compensate for it.

That's my conjecture anyway. :-)

Godfrey