Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>Heya Bob, and others who are interested...
>
>The best description I've found of the Synergy Drive and the
>operation of the "power split device" as CVT is available from these
>pages:
>    http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/
>
>You can see from the text and diagrams lots of info that details how
>the engine and electric motors, combined with the planetary gearset
>in the power split device, work to provide a very different take on
>the concept of "continuously variable transmission".
>
>Curiously, the Honda Insight forum pages also have excellent
>technical information about the Prius and how differs from the
>Insight drive system design:
>   http://www.insightcentral.net/
>
>I found these through the Wikipedia site at
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius
>
>Truly a fascinating design. Can't wait for my car to get here!

Same here... except that my local dealer has one in stock! Test drove
it on Friday. Dr. Lisa is going to check it out Monday or Tuesday (in
Pennsylvania car dealers are prohibited by law from doing business on
Sunday! It's like living in Saudi friggin' Arabia!) and they we'll
decide if we're going to get it.
We've been considering it for a while but the 65 mile commute to my
new job was the tipping point...

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com