>We're probably
> going to spend about $24,000 no matter *what* kind of car we get, so
> there really is no extra cost for us.

The extra cost I'm thinking about is the premium cost for the hybrid
drivetrain over a similar sized vehicle.

In the hybrid Escape, for example, the cost over a similar non hybrid Escape
is in the range of several thousand $. Well worth the money if you're mostly
in city traffic, more of a questionable worth for mostly highway driving.

Kenneth Waller