I made this suggestion a couple of hours ago, but there's been no response
to it.  That can mean two things.  One is that the post never got to the
people who matter.  The second is that while incorrect guesses can be easily
dismissed, something very close to the mark can't safely be touched due to
the embargo.

Here's my earlier unanswered post:
Having no time to audit the "Holy Crap" thread, to eliminate what Aaron has
negatoried and reconsider his ambiguous answers, I'm going to have a stab.

Why not?  It's fun and after all it was Aaron who opened up Pandora's Box,
what does he expect of us inquisitive types who don't work in retail and
have insider knowledge?

I've no background in electronics to understand what the patent documents
say, but I do know that a big gripe about digital capture is that the
exposure is recorded lineally, ie the brightest stop gets half the bit
depth, the second brightest stop gets the next quarter of all the bit depth,
etc.  Eventually, the darkest discernible stop only has two or three levels
in it.

Perhaps Pentax has implemented logarithmic exposure (logE as film is
measured) rather than linear exposure.  Just a guess, and just for fun ;-)

Regards,
Anthony Farr

Lie