Define competition.  Pentax has produced very competitive products.
They've used them to build a user base and generate buzz.  They haven't
had a lot in the Photographic press compared to Canon or Nikon, but it's
been steady, and more than I remember seeing in years.  The *ist-D[x]
models are often mentioned as a good or great alternative to the latest
mid to low end offerings from the big two, and when Pentax's products
are reviewed they often get raves.  (The DA fisheye zoom is a good
example, I've seen a couple of very complementary reviews of it, and
what were you going to mount in on, a Nikon?)  I haven't been that happy
about the lack of *ist-D replacement either, but it's been fairly smart
on Pentax's part for the last couple of years.