I don't think they believed the list so much as their own marketing
division.  The problem was more that Canon and Kodak were ready to
release or had released higher resolution full frame offerings for less
than Pentax could sell the MZ-D for and still have some hope of
recouping R&D and manufacturing costs.  You can only afford to market a
loss leader if you something to offset the loses against.

graywolf wrote:

>Of course, Pentax believed the list when everyone said no one would pay
>that much for a camera. Strangely Canon, Nikon, and Kodak sold a lot of
>cameras in that price range. Oh well.

Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's
favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are
irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on
others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful.
Cats are mean for the fun of it

P. J. O'Rourke