New Doug said:

> This is why I have little respect these days for
> Leica. It seems to me that they build cameras only for
> rich camera collectors, not for actual photographers.

> I cannot respect any camera that is manufactured
> specially to sit in someone's collection, rather than
> to actually be used as a camera. For that matter, even
> as a collectible, I do not see the value of a camera
> made specially to be collected - it is as though the
> camera has not "earned" the right to be a valuable
> collectible!

He also asked:

> Is the M7 really worth more than more than SIX times
> the price of the R3A?

> I find this extremely hard to believe.

Leica still builds - and always has built - their basic camera, the current
versions being the M7 and MP variants, as well as a replica Barnack
edition.  The Barnack edition is the least expensive of the three.

Yes, you can buy a dressed up Leica, and there's not a damned thing wrong
with that.  Some people like fancier-looking cameras.  Why, right on this
list there are some people using "designer" Pentax cameras, and Pentax has
also made some limited edition models, such as the gold LX and one or two
anniversary edition LX bodies.  I believe there were also some special
bodies made for the K1000, with different focusing screens and brown
leather coverings, which also sold for a premium.

And let's not forget some of the better-known collectible Nikons - The Gold
Nikon FA  European Gran Prix 1984 Camera of the Year, the Gold Nikon FM
60th Anniversary of Nippon Kogaku,  and the Nikon FM2 Titanium Year of the
Dog  with a total Production only 300 - more than many of the Leica
collectibles.

Further, many of  the real collector edition Leicas are mostly contracted
for by various organizations and, in some cases, individuals, who want to
commemorate an event or try to generate some extra income for themselves or
their organization.  Leica doesn't just build them without special orders.
For example, there's a doctor in Hong Kong who, over the years,
commissioned Leica to make some special colors (olive drab comes to mind as
one of them) that he resold for a premium to collectors, or just those
users who wanted special colors.

Many Leica owners over the years have modified or customized their cameras
to reflect their unique needs or preferences.  BFD ...  This page may
interest you:

http://www.cameraquest.com/TAnotcoll.htm

And to perhaps anticipate a further objection, that Leicas are over priced
or very expensive, and suited only for the rich user or collector, bear in
mind that Leica has always been expensive.  Why people insist on bashing
Leica as primarily a manufacturer of high-priced collectible cameras seems
a little strange, but the nice thing is that these collectibles put money
in Leica's coffers and allow the company to stay in business.

The Bessa is a piece of mass-produced crap based on a cheap body that
Cosina has been using for a variety of cameras and brands for years.  As I
said before, Leica has always been expensive.  Pick up and use a Bessa and
spend some time with it, and do the same for your basic Leica.  The quality
difference will be obvious.
What makes some Canon and Nikons worth five and six times more than their
entry level cameras?   I find the price difference extremely hard to
believe.

Shel (Leica M3 and custom modified M2 user)