>> Really? *Someone* provided some info *somewhere* in the context of the
>> release of the Canon 5D that suggested it had actually narrowed quite
>> bit since the release of the 1Ds, and that there was also a lot more
>> room for improvement. I think it said that the yield was up from 10%
>> 25% - while it had remained stable for a while at 80% or whatever for
>> smaller sensors. But perhaps your article was written after that
>> and/or
>> gave a good reason while this gap won't be reduced further?
>>

> Canon makes their own sensors.
> They can set their cost targets and wafer yeilds at whatever they want.

¿Qué?

I was referring to the yield as in the percentage of items you try to
produce that actually come out good. This is not something you can set.
It is what it is. (But you can improve it by getting better raw material
and/or improving production techniques.)

OK, I'm sure Canon can do their bookkeeping in such a way that the
sensor cost seems lower than it really is, but they'll only be fooling
themselves in the long run.
> Companies that have to buy sensors from outside companies don't get to
> play those games.

They will pay a price that's governed by competition and/or perceived
value, but that's surely also influenced by the actual production cost ..

- T