On Sep 8, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Tom C wrote:

>> Pre-announcing details about an upcoming release generally causes
>> sales of current inventory to decline, as well as giving your
>> competitors something to market against.
>
> That likely happens by even announcing that a new higher spec'd
> camera is
> forthcoming.

Yes, it does. Certain kinds of announcements are expected of a
manufacturer and they factor those into their inventory/sales figures
if they're savvy.

> Favor/Disfavor how? The Pentax representative should only care
> about one
> thing - Sell as much Pentax gear as possible.  If stock is withheld
> or price
> breaks are not given to the retailer, the only thing the Pentax rep
> would be
> doing is cutting his own/Pentax's throat.

I'm sure you can imagine how a rep who has a dealer that is pissing
him/her off can favor that dealer's competitors with product
shipments, allocations, etc. Don't be naïve.

> I agree that the speculation is more or less an unproductive use of
> time
> when the details will be known eventually... but then this is the
> PDML. :-)

So you're saying that the PDML is generally speaking an unproductive
use of time.

Godfrey