On 9/28/06, keith_w <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why IS that, Frank?
> Other than the fact that one recently laid you up fairly well, that is!

Nah, that's got nothing to do with it, Keith.  Besides (hard to
believe) it's been a year now!  The accident was Oct 6, 2005.

In all seriousness, I have nothing against cars.  Well, not much, anyway.

In fact, I rather appreciate them from time to time.  One day, if I
ever make enough money, I'd love to buy an old English sports car to
take out on lovely sunny summer afternoons.  My all time fave would be
the Austin Healey Bugeye (Frogeye to you Brits) Sprite.  I'd also like
a Mazda Miata as a backup, for when the Sprite's in the shop (or as a
friend of mine who used to own a Big Healey called it:  "Healey
Camp").

I actually go places from time to time in cars owned by friends and relatives.

What I'm against the the needless use of cars.  Daily commutes when
transit's available.  Those 5 block drives to the corner store to buy
beer.  We have to understand that cars are bad for the environment.
Because each individual car doesn't appear to do much harm, it's all
to easy to say, "Oh well, this one little trip won't make a
difference." - but when hundreds of millions of drivers each day say
that, the affects are huge.

Anyway, I don't mean to prosteletyze (but I guess I am).

I'm not anti-car, I'm pro "alternative transportation" (although
perhaps we should stop thinking of walking, mass transit and cycling
as "alternatives" - maybe motor vehicles should be the alternatives).

cheers,
frank