I didn't check later posts to see if someone answered this, so I'll
touch on it.
"Curves" is a feature that allows the adjusting of color tones. It
permits altering highlights, midtones and shadows in each color
channel.
Useful, for example, in helping correct washed out, over-exposed or
underexposed images. I've messed with it a bit and look forward to its
helping to salvage my images.
Pro FS (CS2) has had this tool for awhile.

Jack