David J Brooks wrote:

>Quoting Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

>>D Brooks wrote:

>>>Tell me about it. To delete nav 2001 and install 2006, took a weekend.
>>>

>>Yep. That's why my advice for Dell buyers is to wipe the hard drive
>>immediately upon receiving the machine and reinstall the OS from
>>scratch. You get a nice clean install with which you can do anything
>>you want.
>>

>This of course, if one knows how to do this. I have never done the
>full delete c route, but i will quess its not overly difficult,
>keeping in mind my 10 thumbs.:-)
>
>Dave

Just  a bit over the top.   I have four Dell systems  here (along with a
few older IBM PC's that are mostly mothballed at this time).  Two have
Symantec (Norton SW) ; two Have McAffee.  All have long term support
contracts.  I haven't "wiped the disks"  and haven't encountered any
situations that would suggest a cost/effective benefit in doing so.  I
gave up playing with PC's about ten years ago, I just want a platform to
run applications on.   My experience suggest changing the software
configuration too much could result in grief from the support chain, but
that is just my experience.   I haven't had any trouble adding software
--- takes some time now and then, but it gets done.

Each installation/user combo has limits and objectives that need to be
factored into setting up and configuring the system software and support
facilities.  My experience suggests some of the generalizations
surfacing here are just a bit counterproductive.  IMHO...........

Otis Wright