On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 04:29:41PM -0400, Mark Roberts wrote:
> K.Takeshita wrote:
>
> >Sounds way too complicated to me.
> >Buy a Mac, plug it and play it away! :-).
>
> Windows is pretty much the same way these days if you buy from a
> company that doesn't include "free extras" like Dell. I guess even
> Dell works well for most people, judging by their success, but I
> really prefer to build my own machine so I can choose my own
> components and configure everything just the way I want it.
> Not the path for non-geeks, I suppose :)

The previous two computers I owned were built that way; find a
good motherboard, fit your own choice of CPU, memory, etc., and
add peripherals to taste.  My last purchase was a built-to-order
HP system; with their promotional pricing it was cheaper than
doing it myself, and had everything I wanted.
Nowadays I'd either go the same route or buy a secondhand box;
a friend of mine can find truly excellent deals (such as his
latest accquisition; 14 1U IBM eServers, each with 1GB of RAM,
built-in SCSI, and with processors ranging from 1GHz P3s to
dual Xeons, at an average price of $100 per system).