I think you missed the point of the research.  You do not necessarily
need the sensor to be large.  With their method an array or matrix of
mirrors form the image area.

Do I think this will reach us in a consumer camera?  Probably not.
But they do demonstrate that higher resolutions can be achieved by
manipulating light before it reaches the sensor.