This may not be true any longer, if it ever was, but 35mm lenses have
been tauted as having greater resolving power than MF lenses. Reason
that I heard offered many years ago was that wedding photographers used
mostly MF and they found a "creamy" image more acceptable to the
customer.
Lens tests, over the years, seemed to bare out the disparity.
LF lens resolving power v image size is another matter, obviously, and
one I'm not even prepared to guess about.

Jack