Hi everyone,

I'm new - been lurking for a few days. I currently use film-based equipment
(Canon A1 and Rollei compact point-and-shoot), but am considering going
digital.

I shoot mostly landscapes and architecture, and prefer a wide-angle lens. With
the compact I usually use the wide end (38mm) and with the Canon A1, the lens
is usually 50/1.4 or 28/2. I also shoot at evening gatherings, and like the low
light capability of both lenses.

To be clear, the Canon A1 uses FD lenses, and I'm not willing to use adapters
to get limited functionality on a DSLR body. I am prepared to buy a couple of
lenses for the DSLR, but not too many - my funds are limited, not Limited :-)

Logic and economics suggest a K100D with the 18-55 kit lens plus one A-series
lens, the 28 or 35 f2 for a "normal" view and low-light use. My understanding
as a non-Pentax user is that the A-series lens will work properly - aperture
can be controlled from the body, and there is open-aperture metering.
Therefore, in choosing an A-series lens and not a "modern" autofocus FA lens, I
trade off only autofocus for cost savings. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

There is currently no f2 ultrawide lens, so I can't "get back" my 28/2, but the
28/35 in f2 guise would give a 42/53mm normal view and be good for low-light
conditions. The kit lens is already 18/3.5, so a 20/2.8 seems like overkill for
a half-stop of light.

Questions:

1. Cost of 28/2 and 35/2: The A-series 28/2 and 35/2 actually seem uncommon and
somewhat expensive, about US$150+/- on eBay. One A35/2 recently sold for
US$375! I've also searched the German and Dutch eBay sites, plus KEH. I'm
clearly not alone in wanting to use them on a Pentax DSLR. Are there any other
useful sources? I live in Singapore, and the local used market is mostly
Canon/Nikon.

2. K/M Lenses: If I was to use a K/M lens, but only used it wide open in
aperture priority mode, do I get fully automatic operation i.e. no need for the
2-step meter-shoot kludge? If so, then as a "night lens" there's no difference
between the A and K/M lenses, right?

3. Focus Trap: Some posters mentioned that the shutter locks until the camera
confirms focus. This is great for macrophotography, but can it be turned off?
Sometimes, an out-of-focus picture beats no picture at all. I've used a Nikon
D70 to cover an event before - when it couldn't focus, I had to switch to
manual focus to get the shutter to trip.

4. Other general-purpose lenses: Two alternatives to the 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lens
are the 17-28/2.8-4 lenses offered by Tamron and Sigma. While a little wider
and a little faster, they are full-frame lenses and so twice the size and
weight of the kit lens. Are they worth the extra money and weight? Money can
slowly be earned again, but I am unlikely to carry and use a lens that is too
heavy, and full-frame is no advantage since I have no full-frame Pentax body.

5. Flash compatibility: I understand the K100D uses a new type of flash
control, P-TTL, and will not work with normal TTL flashes. I have no idea what
P-TTL is. I use a Sunpak 30DX bounce/swivel automatic flash with a Canon module
for my A1. I set the desired aperture on the flash, set the A1 to shutter
priority at 1/60, and get satisfactory results. If I simply purchase a Pentax
module (for the LX, ME, MG, MV, MV1), can I continue to shoot in the same way
i.e. the flash sensor controls the cut-off? I'm not hung up on getting
TTL/P-TTL flash.

Finally, Pentax and Sony are currently the only way to get antishake AND a f2
or faster lens together, as the Canon and Nikon IS/VR lenses are f2.8 at most,
not to mention heavy and expensive. But Canon and Nikon have the clear edge in
availability of used lenses and accessories, so I'd also like to hear from
members who use gear on the Canon and Nikon platforms. Please reply off-list if
you feel it's not relevant to PDML.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post,
Benjamin