----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandre A. P. Suaide"

> Maybe we can have an idea. I don't know the prices but how
much expensive
> is a super-8 film today when compared to 30 years ago. We
should remember
> to take into account the inflaction of this period. Maybe the
price will
> be almost the same, if we consider the inflaction. If so, we
can hope
> that the film price will not increase becasue of the reduced
production,
> but, who knows?

This almost makes sense, until you analyze the technology behind
the statement. Super-8 was supplanted by much more convenient
technology. Home movies on an 8mm video camera are much easier
to produce and view than on an 8mm film camera.
This is not to imply that either one is worth viewing.....
OTOH, still imaging, whether on film or digital is about equally
easy. Digital does not have an advantage in this regard.
Film imaging does have a huge price advantage every step of the
way, and this is something not likely to change, and will keep
film imaging in the marketplace for a long time.

<!--rant mode on-->
What I find really stupid is all the talk about film being
replaced by digital. I think this is a moronic and completely
specious arguement. Surely digital imaging is here to stay, but
what makes anyone think it will supplant conventional film?
Computer techno idiots seem to think that if it comes from a
computer it must be better, and seem to be on the forefront of
this particular debate. I don't know if it serves their self
interest or their ego or what.
Digital imaging is a different market segment from film. Some
film users (and I think this is a minority) are going to look at
this technology and say "this is what I have been waiting for",
and will make the switch.
Some film users will say "I can make use of this technology in
some situations, so it makes sense to involve myself in it".
Some film users will make the switch because they are addicted
to new technology.
Many of all of these people will switch back to film at some poi
nt, the same way that most of the video consumers of the 80's
switched back to still (film) shortly after buying their video
cameras.

The imaging marketplace is huge. No technology is going to
supplant another one completely enough to make it disappear. The
advantage lies with the incumbent technology, as it has a long
and well proven track record of reliablilty.

<!--rant mode off-->

William Robb