<SIGH> & <LOL>

First of all, the newer auto focus cameras, including the DSLR's, don't
have split image finders as standard.  I'm not even sure that you can get
one other than custom made.  Had you ever used a new camera you'd know
this. In addition, the screens, even the standard screens, are much
brighter than the screens on older cameras, like the Spotties, K1000's,
KX's, and so on.  So, it's pretty easy to see through the viewfinder at
smaller apertures compared to the earlier cameras.  Your lack of experience
with contemporary Pentax cameras is showing.  You are speaking from a
position of ignorance - which is not a very strong position ;-))

Just for grins, I attached a ST 105/2.8 to my istDS, set the aperture to
F/8.0, and discovered that I had absolutely no difficulty focusing quickly
and easily.  All the more interesting is that it's a dull grey, overcast
morning here and I was focusing on the tree in front of my office through
window glass as well.

Shel