You may be right about that, but recently I made some tests using petal
hoods and found that in some instances straight hoods (to use your term)
provided better protection.  Very few of my lenses sport the hoods that
they came with, especially in this digital age.  A case in point is the
honking big hood that comes with the 16-45.  I swapped that for screw in,
straight hood (don't recall which one now as the lens was on loan and has
since been returned) that was smaller in many dimensions, provided better
protection from flare, and which would take a cap that slipped over the
hood.

Shel