On Oct 25, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Juan Buhler wrote:

> This is bad, but it also compunds itself when the salesperson becomes
> wary of that. A couple of times, I felt the loss of interest of people
> at places like K&S in Palo Alto or Gassers in San Franciso, as soon as
> they realize I'm not going to but something that day. They look away,
> don't look eager to answer questions, and act impatient. To me, this
> means they lost my business. And also, when treated that way I won't
> feel bad about going to their shops to see a camera in person before
> ordering from B&H.

I still well remember my first trip to NYC in the 60s.  I'd been
looking at the ads from the NY camera dealers in the back of photo
magazines for years and dreamed of visiting these places that seemed
to have everything in stock.  I was very disappointed on finding the
first one and seeing a relatively small store with shelves floor to
ceiling full of boxes behind sales counters.  Almost nothing on
display.  I made my way to one of the display cases and the man
standing behind it looked me up and down and asked, "Looking or
buying?"  I wasn't sure if I was going to buy anything, since I
hadn't yet seen what they had, so I said I wanted to look first and
might buy something.  He walked away and ignored me, as did everyone
else the whole time I was there.

I didn't bother to go to any of the shops when I was in NYC for many
years after that.

Bob