On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> I forgot something, THE PICTURE (quality) IS NOT
> IMPORTANT "for a lot" of people? Are you crazy? I am posting this stuff
> in a photo forum inhabited by mostly photographers.
> They should know better than that unless all they watch is
> hillbilly shows like COPS, Pro Wrestling, AND Fear Factor. Thats not
> the demographic of this group I dont think makes
> any sense to say that. Vastly improved picture
> quality enhances motion pictures just as much it does
> still pictures...Come on with this stuff!
> jco

        For a factor of 2-3x in price to replace a TV set, followed with
(often significantly) higher costs for high-def feeds?  Most people I know
don't spend 5 hours a day watching TV.  I personally watch about 3 hours,
but it's on my homebrew Tivo (MythTV, actually), so I can watch 3 hours of
network television (documentaries, mostly) in about 1.5 hours.  No
commercials and sped up a few percent.

        You stated a few facts.  High-def is better, technically, yes.
HD sets have gotten cheaper, yes.  Imposing your OPINION that everybody
who hasn't bought a new set and upgraded their service is stupid is, well,
stupid.  State your facts, correct others' incorrect facts in a polite
way, state your opinions, and then respect the fact that others may not
agree.

        I'm sure you will find the need to rebut this response to "win,"
so feel free.  I will not reply anymore.  You have already "won."  Cheers.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *