Ah Cotty - I have that on my TV now  -
For the falling asleep process I just turn the radio next to my bed down
really low for white noise -- it has
to be people talking -- I have too much fo an emotional response to music.

No, what I'm seeking is a way to keep the volume steady - with no peaks
and valleys - whether I'm watching
something when I'm alert as well as keeping the overall volume
consistently low  when I have to be
sure I don't wake neighbors.  ( I have the windows open at elast a
little at all times in my apartment and some of them are fairly close to
the windows in other buidlings)

Others have pointed to places on the web where such things exist but
they look too complicated and/or expensive.
Not to mention being described in a language totally foreign to me.

I'm fascinated by the discussion this has prompted and that things
really do exist of this ilk.

ann