On Dec 31, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> There is another point here which I probably did not stress enough.
> Consider the Pentax Browser 3.0 software. It is fully compatible with
> either PEF or DNG from the K10D. Now, on *istD my Tamron 28-75/2.8
> does
> register properly. On K10D its name does not show either in ACR or in
> Pentax Browser. However any of the Pentax lens I tried so far (31, 43,
> 77, 50) shows properly in the Pentax Browser.
>
> Thus I have to conclude that somehow Pentax has changed the way camera
> registers the name of the lens. Or like you point out, they somehow
> managed to hide it in the data even from their own Pentax Browser.

I imagine that if Pentax lenses produced prior to the K10D register
their name correctly, the camera is not at fault for retrieving the
data. This is probably a related but separate issue.

Remember that Tamron lenses' ROM chip with the name data is backwards
engineered and delivered prior to the K10D for testing at Tamron. So
there might be a bug in the Tamron chip that does not evidence itself
in the *ist D but does in the K10D ... they never had a K10D before
now to test against with it.

Godfrey