On Jan 4, 2007, at 2:39 AM, Digital Image Studio wrote:

> And in order to
> minimize the system impedance so that I can make the most of the very
> low damping factor of my amps I run a short 1m length of old Supra
> 10mm2 cable, it keeps the bass tight ;-)

I'm not sure what I'll be using for speaker cabling when I get my
system done, but for the internal wiring within the speakers I
splashed out and used litz.  Only because I was able to get the stuff
mega cheap - where I worked we used the stuff by the kilometre and
also had the odd engineering-sample roll lying around.  If it's good
enough for multi-kilowatt power transformers running at hundreds of
kHz, it'll be good enough for audio.

The downside of using litz is that it's a real pain to connect, as
each strand is individually insulated (hundreds of them, hair-thin)
so you can't just bunch the end into a binding post.  You have to
thoroughly tin the ends using a high-temperature soldering iron then
solder it to a connector.

To connect the amplifiers to the bass drivers I'll probably just use
big fat generic cable but I think I have a couple of metres of litz
left over so I might use that for the mids & tweeters, or maybe cat5
if I don't have enough litz.  The mid & tweeter see very little power
so they don't need a heavy-gauge wire.

I will be glad to get those pesky passive crossovers out of the way
(see pics at the bottom of this page: all I've changed in the past
two years are some resistor values to tweak the padding):
http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/speaker2/

- Dave