Watch out here as an elitist snob... I have been very careful to
qualify any of my potentially denigrating comments WRT "photographer" vs.
"technician."  I personally think of it as the difference between a
"technical photographer" and an "artsy photographer."  I am very much the
former, but try to learn more of the latter as I go.  The majority of
photographers that I know of (including most of this list) lean more
towards the artsy side.  Both are necessary to some degree for good
photographs.

        The snap-n-shooter who fires away endlessly and never goes of
automatic idiot mode is neither.  The cursed soul like me aspires to have
a creative eye while perfecting the technical aspects.  The majority
seem to learn just enough technical aspects as necessary to exercise their
creative eye.

        In the limiting case, I've heard it argued as to whether or not
some of the HEAVILY manipulated digital photographs should be considered
photographs at all.  Maybe, maybe not.  Should they be considered
art.  Certainly... IMO.  Everyone chooses how far on either side they wish
to go.

-Cory

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Well, let me then amend my post: I think he's more a technician than a
> photographer concerned with the aesthetics and creativity involved in
> photographing a subject.  I believe Mr.Papanfuss has stated that as well,
> at least to some degree.
>
> Further - and this just may be me - I don't recall ever seeing any of his
> photographs posted here, although he does talk a lot of technical stuff.

        I've posted a few.

> IMO, one may record a scene and be considered a photographer by some - and
> maybe just holding a camera and pushing the button makes one a photographer
> - but I think there's more to it than that, that some creativity beyond
> just recording a scene and looking for an accurate color reproduction
> contributes to the making of a photographer.  But then, I have often been
> called an elitist snob
>
> Of course, Rob, you're very technically oriented, and might that not color
> your opinions just as my limited technical expertise may color mine?
>
> Shel

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *