This could certainly be an interesting discussion.

I'm sure we could categorize types of photos and the skills needed for
them.  Also, we could go so far as to say that the more technical
skill you have, the better off you are.  However, without some
artistic skill, photos can be less interesting.

One way to think about it, is to consider the audience.  For example,
a portrait of a member of a family - if the audience was the family,
they might look at things quite different than if the audience was the
PDML.  In either case, technical skill can be very useful.  So
pictures that jog your memory (recording history) don't need to have
the artistic skill applied as much to be successful.  Pictures that
will be seen by a broad audience need to be more artistic to hold the
interest of the audience.  They still need technical excellence, but
they also need artistic skill.

As to manipulation, this is a much grayer area.  What is the
difference between manipulating before the shot vs. after the shot.
Before the shot, you can choose aperture (DOF), shutter speed
(motion), focal length (perspective), lighting (emphasis), filters,
etc.  After the shot you can do some of those things - motion is
difficult, as is DOF and perspective, but you can adjust brightness
and color balance and saturation and filtering.  So where is the
reality?

I think that most shots that are well presented, were good shots prior
to post processing (at least for me).  If it needs lots of extra work,
it usually is not a good shot to begin with.  Certainly when shooting,
you are trying to record within the limits of the medium and then
produce output from it.  So for me, the medium is a raw image.  I try
to expose so that the image is neither blown out or blocked up.  From
there, I can adjust the brightness to match what I was trying to
accomplish when taking the shot.  Not much different in concept to
underexposing slide film to improve the saturation.

I'm probably rambling too much here, but just trying to say that
technical skill is important and artistic skill is important.  I think
most of the photographers here who present high quality artistic
images also have the technical skill at the camera and the process.
Tools will always help (camera automation, software), but knowledge is
very necessary to doing the best job - especially when circumstances
aren't simple.

--
Best regards,
Bruce