Not based on personal experience, but the general consensus is that the
primary shortcomings of the *ist-D compared to the more refined later
D-series brethren are the D's smaller, slower, write buffer and its
smaller LCD. I was thoroughly pleased with the D, not at all tempted by
the follow-ons,  and moved to the K10D primarily to get the
shake-reduction feature. I really like the vertical grip available on
the -D and K10D and would miss that on any of the others.

Stan